How to make more HP from your Spridget

To: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: How to make more HP from your Spridget
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:07:20 -0700 (PDT)
I just discovered one of the simplest things about making a Spridget run
better. Bugsy over the past number of months seems to be idling faster and
faster. Yes I'd attributed the problem to an air leak around the front throttle
shaft. Now after a trip of 150 miles on Saturday and another 75 miles on Sunday
Bugsy would not idle below 3000 rpm. A tip of the hat to "Click and Clack" on
NPR on Saturday when a caller discussed problems with her TR3 and idling
quickly. Discussion went into the merits of SU Carbs and making sure dashpots
are filled up and the problems with high idling speeds if you don't. Suddenly
the light bulb clicked on and ably armed with a auto tranny fluid I topped off
the dashpots. Well idle immediately dropped down and the change in idle speed
from 800 to 200 rpm is another story for another day. To my surprise when I got
Bugsy back on the road I suddenly discovered that Bugsy's engine no longer hit
the proverbial brick wall at 4500 rpm. A lack of power was evident
 above 4000 rpm and I'd attributed it to all sorts of different things. Now
engine pulls strongly and very briskly up to 5500 and feels like its well able
to go for more. Unbelievable, feels like I increased power by 15-25% on the top
end. Evidently lack of fluid prevents carbs from opening all of the way up. Not
knowing the mysteries of the way SU's work that's all I can surmise.

Now I need to get that tuning guide out,
http://members.core.com/~ckotting/tuning.html and go through the rest of the
tune up procedures to make Bugsy really perform and to smooth out the idle.

Moral of the story, check your fluid levels. Not just oil and water.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH