Re: removing the cowl, and fixing the wiper control arm

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: removing the cowl, and fixing the wiper control arm
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:27:16 -0400
Bud, thanks for the clear description for removing the steering column
below.  After it became apparent that I could not really do the job without
pulling the steering column, your layout of the steps helped a lot.
However, there was no need to loosen the pinch bolt down by the steering
rack - the bottom end of the column did not come away with the rest when I
removed it.  I trust that was OK, yes??

Ed at justbrits advised me to use a dremel to cut slots into the tops of the
shear bolts on the lock and switch assembly to unscrew them.  Worked great.
I am getting a whole new assembly from him - I decided I don't need
uninformed locksmiths poking at the old one and bodging it up!  Rather a
nice neat bolt-on job, with two NEW keys!

Here is an unrelated question.  Months ago I managed to bust off the
windshield wiper control arm while pushing the Midget around the garage
(duh!).   It broke away about 40% of the plastic that the arm was set into.
There is a green-with-black-stripe wire coming out of the end of the arm,
and a black wire with a bare end hanging loose.   The question is, where did
the black wire go?  I am guessing it was wrapped around the metal end of the
arm that was embedded in the plastic - is this correct?  It appears it would
then create a circuit when the button on the end of the arm was pushed.  I
plan to reset the arm in place and use JB Weld to build up around the
broken-off 40%.  Any opinions on that plan?  It would be nice to get it done
while the steering column is on the ground.

Steve