Re: Context was Re: Fuel pumps

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Context was Re: Fuel pumps
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:17:44 -0500
>>>dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com writes:
...states that the stock pump is marginal
for anything beyond a stock 1275 and recommends going to an aftermarket pump
with regulator as one of the earlier mods to be done...

This isn't what the section actually states and to put some context here the
text also states:
             .... the easiest and cheapest way to ensure good fuel supply may
be to fit a brand new standard pump..........
+++++++++++++++

You are right, Daniel, I wasn't quoting exactly from the book. What the book
ACTUALLY says on page 36 is:

"The standard electric fuel pump can only cope with moderate increases in fuel
demand, and that's assuming it is in good working order. Depending on the
state of your engine's tune, the easiest, and cheapest, way to ensure good
fuel supply maybe (sic) to fit a brand new standard pump. ...
For a really serious horsepower increase the answer is to fit a competition
fuel pump."

You are correct, it isn't the first upgrade, but you certainly don't leave the
impression that we should leave them on.
I did have the SU pump on my MGB, and other than a few thumps on the bulkhead
occasionally I got along with it just fine.
David L