Was: ventilation Now: thrashing

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was: ventilation Now: thrashing
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:59:59 -0500
Larry:
I used to routinely drive my stock overdrive MGB at 4500 RPM back and forth
from the midwest to the east coast.  That shouldn't hurt it.  As for the
1275, I'm not sure you're going to get rid of that much "thrashing" by going
to a belt cam drive set-up.  having the rotating parts from the pulley all
the way back to the clutch balanced will give you the most smoothness you
can hope for in a 1275.  The frenetic sounds get replaced with a kind of
chainsaw hum.  Some call it music.
--JohnD

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:06:53 -0700 (PDT)
From Larry Pitts <FUZZY95687 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: crank case ventilation

I guess my basic question regarding crank case ventilation was, is the fuel
pump pad alone adequete for ventilation? The answer seems to be yes. I'll
have to drill and tap my 1275 to accept a fitting.
I'm interested in reducing the amount of engine vibration in my Bug project.
It seems the belt drive has several benefits to include reduced noise,
vibration and more stable timing. I have pried my 76 MGB back from my
daughter and am currently putting 600 + miles a week on it, mostly at 70-80
mph. Even with electric over drive some times it feels like that motor is
going thrash itself to death. 3 years and 35k+ miles since I've had it on
the road I've stopped worrying about it and I figure I'll drive it till it
drops. I keep tell'n myself however I'm going to do something to minimize
that vibration next time. I want to minimize that thrashing of course
without having to slow down too much!
Thanks for the info.

Larry Pitts