Re: Transmission stuck in 1st

Subject: Re: Transmission stuck in 1st
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:32:41 -0500
Cc: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Yahoo Spridget list <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Until I get the transmission from the 68 repaired, I have dug through the
extras in
shed. I started with the latest one that came out of a 65 Midget, that had not
been
on the road in over 20 years. The shifter would not move, and the input shaft
was
almost locked. I put an old yoke on the back and gave it a bit more pressure and
got it to move. I forced the shifter into all gears, and got a nice positive,
firm
movement on front and rear shafts. The thing that concerned me was the
stiffness in
the box. I removed the drain plug, and found a reddish clay blockage molded in
the
shape of the inside of the plug. I wrestled the side cover off, and found about
an
1/8" of this clay type crap in the bottom of the tranny. I scraped out most of
it,
poured engine flush onto the gears, and replaced the cover. I took a cordless
1/2"
drill, clamped onto the input shaft, and started to spin up the tranny. It now
turns much more freely, I have all gears shifting well, and it is soaking as I
type. NOW, what would be a good follow-up fluid to soak this thing in overnight?
Diesel, kerosene, M.E.K, silicone brake fluid???? I hope this will get me
through,
until I get the original drivetrain rebuilt and ready to re-install. Any
caveats I
should be wary of prior to putting this back in?

Brad

p.s. What the hell would make the fluid turn to clay, other than too much heat?