Update

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:35:10 -0400
It's been a busy month for meeting and spending time with fellow listers.

First, the Kitterers stopped by on their way through Connecticut. Bob
and Annice are every bit as nice as we expected them to be since they
helped us secure our '74 Midget a couple of years ago. After dropping
off their RV, they made their way using GPS to Innocentiville and shared
their years of Bugeye ownership with us as well as their great pics of
cars they've owned, their camping trips, and the Frank Lloyd Wright
buildings they have visited.

I always find it interesting how many other things I have in common with
car people, in this case FLW. I was fascinated by Bob's pics and first
hand description of the details of the buildings and the FLW Fellowship.

I spent the last 6 days with Rick Neville from Massachusetts on the road
to and from Indianapolis to attend the Formula One race. It was a super
race weekend. We motored out in my MINI Cooper S, shared the driving,
making our way to Saline, MI to meet up with another friend, and
continued on our way in a slightly larger car for the trip from there to
Indy.

There we feasted on roasted turkey legs and Fosters (That's Australian
of Bee-uh), partied with old and new friends, talked alot of racing, saw
alot of racing, and HEARD alot of racing. 19,000 rpms! Two in our group
bumped into Jackie Stewart, went through the fantastic Indianapolis
Speedway Museum again, mingled with thousands of Columbian Montoya fans,
and often got lost in a sea of red fans, there to cheer on their hero,
Michael Schumacher.

If you've never been to the Speedway and have even the slightest
interest in racing, you owe it to yourself to attend one of the 3 major
races held there, the 500 in May, F1 in June next year, or the Brickyard
500 in August.

I've been to alot of Grand Prix's and this was one of the best F1
weekends I have had. Nothing can substitute for the sights, sounds, and
smells of live international racing! Standing at the fence on the pit
straight as the cars roar past is literally awesome. Viewing 900hp cars
leaving the pits performing standing starts less than 30 feet away is
like nothing else you can experience.

Even though Rick and I root for different drivers, we were able to keep
cuts and bruises to a minimum.

A final capper to the weekend was on the return trip, seeing two
beautifully restored Sunbeam Tigers pull in behind us at a gas station.
One was even a rare Mk II !  And last but not least, when we pull away
from the pumps what is in front of us but another pump off to the side
dispensing race fuel: 115 octane, $4.29 a gallon.

Now that I'm back, it will take me a little while to up to speed on the
messages and subjects I missed. I'm happy to see we have another gun
debate going. A few dozen insulting messages back and forth seems to
ease the built-up stress.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct
Home of "The Innocenti Project"