RE: Go fast suspension set up

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Go fast suspension set up
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:24:15 -0400
I never did install any spacers.  I just removed the top 3 leaves, and
reinstalled.  The rate seems about perfect, never checked the driveshaft
angle...  Cannot imagine that its very far out, anyway its certainly within
the standard range of motion.  The lowering effect is equivalent to about a
2 person load and a few things in the trunk, so its not like there is a huge
lowering effect.  The new springs sold now make the rear sit way too high,
taking 2 springs out makes it just a bit lower than most stock setups (IMHO)
and 3 springs is lower and softer still.  I've got newer (6-7 year NOS rear
springs from MiniMania) springs and took the 3 leaves out of them.  If I did
this to my original stock springs, the tail would have been dragging once I
filled the trunk with camping gear...

I would not remove leaves on 1/2 elliptic cars, these cars are seriously
undersprung.

>From memory, the stock front rate is ~280lbs.  So 340lbs is about a 20%
increase in rate.  I currently run a 3/4" front bar and no rear bar.  I
cannot imagine running 185/60-13 tires on a square body car without a
panhard rod, I've done a bit of baseball bat mods in the rear and still get
rub at full chat under full compression.  I always rub and hit the stops on
the road into Summit Point from Berryville (those familiar with Summit,
probably know the road well!).

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 Sprite