Re: PCV Connections 1 Oct 2003 08:20:11 -0400

To: d.swanson@earthlink.net (Dean Swanson)
Subject: Re: PCV Connections 1 Oct 2003 08:20:11 -0400
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:25:59 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
IMHO, Dean...

I like the KISS principle:
Positive venting of the crankcase is (arguably:) best provided for off
the
the "later" timing chain cover's oil seperator/flame arrester into the
intake
manifold via the old diaphragm equipped
PCV valve with "inbound" breathing provided for by the plastic
"filtered" oil
filler cap.

Now to do this on your '62 1098, you'll
need a "later" timing chain cover incorporating the above described
"cannister" or, since you're handy, you
may just wish to drill a 1/2" hole in
your existing timing chain cover and
fabricate your own "can".

Blocking off the existing "draught" tube
piped off the lifter cover will increase the
effectiveness of the above described
factory system which prevailed on earlier
PCV equipped engines.

I had this system for years on a PO'd
'67 MGB. Other than a drop or two now
and then, it never leaked oil and the only
repair I ever had to make to this system
was replacement of the rubber diaphragm
once in something like 10 years and about
100K miles. Excellent, simple system.

Other than the foregoing, I have for years
used a "free venting" system which consists of a 1/2" "takeoff" on the
valve
cover (with vented oil filler cap) and a
1" fabricated fitting off the old mech.
fuel pump opening in the block.

Both may be "tubed" to individual K&N
filters or "vented" into a Summit or Jeg's
commercially supplied "filtered" catch can
or....you can fabricate your own since you
seemed "inclined" in this respect.

Here again, never had an oil leak with the
immediately foregoing set-up, either with
my current mild Cooper S spec. 1293 or
my PO'd '74 Midget producing 90+hp
at the rear wheels running a high
compression, "Vizardized" 1275+ motor.