Running rough when hot from [151.198.15.249] at Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:47:50

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Running rough when hot from [151.198.15.249] at Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:47:50 -0500
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 21:47:49 -0400
My 77 Midget (1500) has been running rough when hot.  It would be fine
when cold but the the ambient temp was hot and the longer the car ran
the greater the chance of running rough.  This was really true in stop
and go traffic or at lights.  I figured it was some type of heat related
carb problem.

Today I found the problem, when I went to advance the timing a bit, I
grabbed the dizzy and found the problem. ZAP, ZAP, ZAP.  As someone said
90% of all carb problems are electrical. Seem the number 1 plug wire
sometimes shorts to ground right where it enters the cap.  Funny thing
is both the cap and wires have less the 3k miles on them.  It is an old
style cap with the screw in terminals.  Is there a way to tell if it is
the cap or the wires?  Should I just replace them both, or try a we
tight fix and trim the wire back a could of inches and re-insert into
the cap?

Bill "Sparky" Gilroy
77 Midget

---------