Re: Running rough when hot

To: "William M. Gilroy" <w.lists@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Running rough when hot
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:43:24 -0400
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
William M. Gilroy wrote:

> Today I found the problem, when I went to advance the timing a bit, I
> grabbed the dizzy and found the problem. ZAP, ZAP, ZAP.  As someone
> said 90% of all carb problems are electrical. Seem the number 1 plug
> wire sometimes shorts to ground right where it enters the cap.  Funny
> thing is both the cap and wires have less the 3k miles on them.  It is
> an old style cap with the screw in terminals.  Is there a way to tell
> if it is the cap or the wires?  Should I just replace them both, or
> try a we tight fix and trim the wire back a could of inches and
> re-insert into the cap?
> Bill "Sparky" Gilroy
> 77 Midget

When I took the "we tight" approach to fixing the problem I decided to
just cut the wire back about 2 inches.  When I removed the stud that
pierces the wire I found that the stud was rusted and corroded.  I clean
the stud with some emery cloth and cut the wire back.  There were no
carbon traces on the cap.  I will see if that fixed the problem.

Bill Gilroy

---------
"Pain is fleeting, glory is forever, and scars are sexy." - Laura Goodwin