Re: Help, tuning 101. 2003 19:29:30 -0700

To: cbking@alum.rpi.edu (Chris King)
Subject: Re: Help, tuning 101. 2003 19:29:30 -0700
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 03:22:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Well....I am pondering on your behalf
here and throwing out ideas as they
"surface".

It seems the carb spec matches the engine spec. and they are completely
overhauled so.....but....

what do you mean by the "caveat" ending
of the last sentence in the first paragraph
regarding the TS cam....."but  decided
to play it a little on the conservative side".

What does this last sentence mean with
respect to the foregoing one on the cam,
Chris. Do you mean conservative as to
choice of cam?
You did time the cam in according to TS
specs, right?

Assuming the cam is already broken in
(I think I recall reading a previous post on
this as having been done), your looking at
an idle of approx. 1,000rpm and 12 flats out as a starting point for
tuning.

The throttle cable is free, you've got proper throttle return springs on
the carb
to be sure the butterflies close properly
at idle? The fuel bowls fill to the correct
level before start via electric pump or....
are you running a mechanical? If so, is
it pumping properly....or is it weak?

You'll also have to clean the plugs or
start with a fresh set. There is no way
the choke should even figure into any
of this, except for initial start.

You got "timing" and all else right? Good,
strong spark, etc.?

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)