Re: CA plate changes - specifically YOM data

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CA plate changes - specifically YOM data
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 07:39:48 -0700
Hi listers,
My .02 on what I did to get '62 plates on my Sprite.

I got a PAIR of yellow plates (ebay) with black letters/numbers (CA 1956
thru 1962 issued).  I made sure that the number was CLEAR with the CA DMV
before I purchased them.  Got them refurbished.  Bought a 1962 registration
sticker (ebay).  This sticker is mandatory to designate that the plate was a
1962 plate.  The first year of issue did not have a reg sticker ('56) and
then subsequent years had a sticker to identify the year of registration.
The yellow background with black letter plate setup was used in CA from '56
thru '62.  With the PAIR of refurbished plates in hand, with one plate
sporting the '62 registration sticker, off to the DMV to change my plates in
accordance with the CA YOM provision. (YOM = Year of Manufacture) (Section
5004.1 of the California Motor Vehicle Code is a "Year of Manufacture" (YOM)
law that allows vintage cars to be registered to use vintage license
plates.)

Plan on a lengthy visit with the DMV person behind the desk for this is not
a procedure that they do everyday.  Many books have to be researched (print
out the 5004.1 section and take it with you.)  You must have a "PAIR" of
plates, supposed to install one front and one rear.  They will NOT even talk
to you with only one plate.
Pay the fees and off to Sacramento goes the request.  Two to three weeks
later, victory!
My YOM plates now have metal "flags" on them to sport the month and year
stickers needed to show current registration data.
Somewhat painful and relatively costly (plates, refurbish, reg sticker, DMV
switch fees, reg fees) but well worth it when all done and on the car.  Can
send a pic to anyone who would like to see them installed on my '62 Sprite
MKII.

David L. Vrba
'62 Sprite MKII
Dublin, CA