Heater

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:24:36 +0100
Thanks everyone for being brilliant and patient with all my questions.
Looks like you've let yourselves in for some more!  Of course I look
forward to the day when I too can help other newbies.  Took a long
look under the bonnet tonight.  That heater is one odd-looking device!

1. Moss's parts breakdown at
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29375
shows an air duct (part 41).  I don't have one.  Should it go down to
the front grille?  Is that why when I switch the heater on, I have to
open a window because of the unpleasant whiff?  ;)

2. I think the choke-like-but-not-a-choke knob on the dashboard stops
the heat coming out of the air vents.  So where does it go?

Other random things I've wondered (my car's UK spec):
o Should my glovebox have a cover?
o Does any UK'er have a picture of a 1500 dash so that I can see how
much mine has been bodged up?  (It's not that bad, but it has been
painted, so I do wonder...)
o Were door mirrors standard on either or both sides?
o What temperature reading is acceptable?  In the Jaguar V12 world (and
that's one engine that gets _hot_), the knowledgable owner looks to
improve his cooling system if the thermometer goes above the middle.
You will all notice that hence I am very paranoid about cooling system
condition.  At the moment mine gets 3/4 up the gauge, which makes me
break out into a sweat.
o How did my rocker cover get into such disgusting shape?
o If my expansion tank cap is mostly rust, how much crap is in the
cooling system?  (I know the answer, that was rhetorical.)
o What's the correct coolant mix?  Where are the drain plugs and bleed
screw?
manual still not here...)  Is there a bleed screw?
o Is the correct place for the rear number plate above or below the
bumper?
o Should I fit an oil cooler?
o Anyone got a "spare" hood cover going cheap?  I am very proud of the
fact that I found out how to fold the thing down properly.  :)
o Is it possible to work on the gearbox without removing it from the
car?  Is there a transmission dipstick (now I must be dreaming).  What
oil?  Where do I fill it?
o What spark plugs do I need?  I've heard Champion N9Y or N12Y...

If you made it this far down, I thank you...  :)

Now playing: Smashing Pumpkins - Here Is No Why