Tubes - Now you know (No LBC)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tubes - Now you know (No LBC)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
Wow - I've had more vacuum tube responses than I ever
get to Spridget questions!  Forgive me again for a non
LBC post, but I wanted to give a mass explanation.

The tubes are for a modern stereo preamplifier.  The
preamp is a Conrad Johnson PV-10A.  It is a piece of
high end audio equipment, and, believe it or not, the
better sounding equipment still uses vacuum tubes (my
VTL amplifier as well).  The types of tubes I listed
are all readily available - in my power amp I use
Sovtek (Russian) or Svetlana (Yugoslavian) EL-34s.
The Amperex Bugle Boy tubes are known to render the
best sound with the CJ preamp.  I have several sets of
tubes, it is the Bugle Boy's that are special.

While I don't really play an instrument, I was brought
up in a house where acoustic guitar and piano were
being played (well) constantly.  I got very used to
hearing live music in a real space, and crappy
stereo/surround systems are not my thing, so good
audio gear is another hobby.  BTW, if vacuum tubes
seem antiquated, it is very widely acknowledged that
the best sounding source is, in a good playback
system, the venerable LP. Two channel SACD is the
closest (multi channel will catch up, but for now
engineers are more concerned with surround effects
than making it sound like real music in real space),
and it was introduced by Sony as being the means to
finally bring digital audio reproduction up to analog
standards.

=====
Ron Soave

"I strolled all alone through a fallout zone, came out with my soul untouched."