Re: Clutch Fan

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Fan
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:16:32 -0500
Daniel,
         No Thanksgiving?  Traitor!
                 oh wait.....
Anyway, fan clutches usually fail, in my experience, by not engaging. They
may limply spin the blades, but not to pump speed. (you can test this by
hand. Simply grab....) Their purpose, as you know, is to reduce horsepower
drain when the added cooling is not needed. If that is your goal, why not
an electric water pump and auxiliary electric fan. Very recently we are
seeing cars with electrically clutched alternator drive pulleys, much like
AC compressors have. Rather than reduce the amount of output from an
alternator (and horsepower requirements) by regulating the charging,
automakers are simply clutching and declutching the pulley as required.
         Peter
and why should 50 be the Finale?
=====