Re: Ammeter vs voltmeter

To: David Lieb <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: Ammeter vs voltmeter
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:45:11 -0500
Cc: John.Deikis@med.va.gov, spridgets@autox.team.net
David Lieb wrote:
>>Can someone help me understand why around the time of cars switching from
>>generators to alternators, cars that actually HAD gauges switched from
>>ammeters to voltmeters?  They seem to give very different information.
>
> Why not both?

As I see it without all the technical stuff, an ammeter shows + or -.
Charging or discharging. A volt meter tells you how many volts the
system is putting out.
I have both :) Why? because when i find a Smiths oil (or ambient air)
temp gauge, I'll lose the amp gauge. But I have always had a volt gauge
in all my LBCs, In my opinion it goes right along with the oil and water.
My gauge priority list
1st, oil
2nd, water temp
3rd volts