Bugeye ignition problems

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bugeye ignition problems
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 08:25:59 -0500
I think David Lieb's answer to Richard Rivenbark may contain the key to my
problem.

I removed my generator to have it tested since the battery was losing charge.
After the simple reinstall, the car only revs to ~1500 rpm max.  The '59 948
Bugeye is all stock except for larger SU carbs and different differential.

The ground strap has never been connected to the block since I have owned the
car, but it has always run great.  What is the correct connection point?

I had a problem reconnecting the large clip to the large blade on the
generator - the blade slipped down into the gen, so I had to pull it back out.
I assumed the wire connected to the blade was OK, but haven't opened up the
gen or the VR yet.  My buddy at the Alt/strtr shop says the VR from an old
style Ford tractor will work on the bugeye ( the Standard brand part #VR221
12V NEG/POS -isolated - or did he say grounded - like the bugeye's. )  It only
has Armature, Field, and Ground tabs on it. Any thoughts on that idea?

 Since it was only $15, I thought I would give it a try since it does not
require adjustment like the Lucas VR.  BTW, I have the Lucas VR adj manual
compressed file from a few weeks back if anyone needs it.  It is quite
detailed, but I've only skimmed it.

Also when reinstalling the gen, I accidently pulled out the #3 cyl spark plug
wire from the diz cap, but I re-connected it.

Surely this problem is only due to a bad connection somewhere since the Bug
was running great before removing the gen.   HELP !

Thanks
Please email direct as you post to list-

Billy T Green
bgreen99@frontiernet.net