Re: Snow and Ice and Salt

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Snow and Ice and Salt
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:50:42 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Cap'n,
Yes, they have been salting roads in the UK for at least as long ago as
that. (i.e. since before 1958)

With our weather being so unpredictable  the matter of when to salt the
roads, and how much, is something that the local road agencies have a real
problem with each year.  They stock-pile road grit (salt) before the winter
sets in and a have a finite budget to work with so if they use too much in
the early part of the winter, they run out before spring.
Actually, NOT a job to be envied because they simply cannot win! Not enough
salt and we end up with traffic chaos because most drivers simply cannot
cope on snow or ice.  Too much and they will run out before the end of
winter, and more traffic chaos!!

Actually the best winter driving I have ever had here is on deserted roads
when I lived  in Northumberland ( no - one to get in the way!) which were
completely untreated.  Drifts were up to 4  foot deep but the car I was
driving at the time had snow tyres (no, not studded) and concrete blocks on
board to give it a bit of extra "bite".  I did a 60 mile cross country
journey on real back roads in near blizzard conditions, and found that by
keeping the speed up to around 50 it would just plough straight through
banks of snow as high as the car!  Brilliant and exhilarating fun.

Guy