Re: Respray cost

To: Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Respray cost
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:27:11 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Noting Charles Christ's reply, you may find some value in getting a detailed
estimate or bill (your own and/or others) that breaks down the task between
materials and labor, and then then with clear indication as to how the labor was
split between prep, paint, post-paint, etc.  Then you have a reasonable template
for the future depending on how labor rates and other costs change with the
times.  You will also be able to identify where you can substitute your labor in
the most cost-effective way.  The actual spraying of the car does not really
take a lot of time, but you have to factor in the overhead shop and equipment
costs.

It astounds me how going from one paint manufacturer to another can affect your
material cost.  Most colors cost the same brand to brand (PPG and Martin Senour
will cost about the same for a red basecoat) but the ancillary costs vary
considerably.  MS catalysts and reducers have a seemingly unlimited shelf life,
while the PPG products say you need to use them in 2 weeks.  For the hobbyist
painter (me) this means buying smaller more expensive quantities if I want to
use the PPG system.

Around here (Connecticut/Northeastern US) I have had a difficult time finding a
shop willing to paint over prep work that someone else did.  They express
concern that if the job decays in short order due to preparation shortcomings,
it is their shop that suffers the hit on their reputation because they "painted"
the car.