Dry / Wet Compression Test

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dry / Wet Compression Test
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 06:46:30 -0800 (PST)
Planning on running a commpression test on the 1275 I purchased over the
weekend. I know that one should take a dry and a wet reading. How much oil, I'm
guessing someting like a teaspoonful does one add to the cylinder to get a
proper wet reading?

Mounted the starter motor and find I can turn engine quite easily right at the
flywheel by hand with the starter gear. This does not bode well. I pulled the
plugs and they are all oily and covered with heavy, heavy ash deposits.

Got the Vizard book on Wednesday and have been doing some major pipe dreaming,
Time for a rebuild I can almost guarantee it.

Hey I was amazed at actually how light a 1275 is. Built a roll around dolly out
of some scrap lumber and big casters I had saved for some undeterminable
project in the future. So I got the dolly built and I needed a way to get the
engine raised up and the dolly to go underneath. Finding myself at home alone,
and all neighbors with strong backs out of town I rummaged around and found
some spare pulleys in the sailboat hardware box, spare lines, a cleat, a
U-Bolt, and my 6' wooden stepladder. A little creative thought, a 6-1
mechanical advantage, tie a rope around the engine, position the step ladder
over the engine, give a little heave and presto, it levitates. All is stable
and securely mounted to the dolly and I no longer have a large cast iron
doorstep in the middle of my garage.

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now