Bone Stock Bugeye

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bone Stock Bugeye
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:54:34 -0500
I am just rambling on here but I just realized that I am restoring my
very first bone stock 948 smooth case bugeye.
I took a bunch apart and I put a bunch back together but never bone stock!

My yellow Bugeye is all buffed up and the paint turned out great.
On to stuff like a slave cylinder, I have a few 1" bore slaves ready to
go for the 1275s but none ready for a 948.
Stock steering wheel. Wow, What a monster! and it needed work too but is
going to look just fine now that all the cracks are filled in and the
flex paint is drying.
The engine runs fine but it was dirty, I cleaned it tonight and as soon
as it's dry I will paint it Morris green.
Now onto the exhaust.....I have 2 new 1275 flanged exhaust pipes in
stock, and a few 1275 flanged manifolds, should I just use what I have
or do the stock 948 pipe with the funky clamp? My way would be better ;)
The car will retain it's disc brakes so it's not "bone" stock.
I even prewired the car for the electric fuel pump out of routine
because I do it all the time. But this 948 has a nice working stock
mechanical AC fuel pump. I have cleaned it up and tested it not even
realizing that Bugeyes never had electric pumps. Infact, I think the
electric pump is still bolted under the car. The wire from the back is
still there, I just added a white wire to the dash harness for it.
Generator or alternator? I have a few of each to choose from. I even
have a couple tach drives for the generator.
I am leaning towards generator. But do I want to give up my NOS tach
cable, NOS Lucas regulator (old) and a tach drive generator that's worth
1/2 as much as the whole car? I was saving all this stuff for the
concours car I *might* do if I found the correct candidate.

What do you folks think?
Should I do it almost bone stock?
Or should I make it a stock driver with an alternator and better exhaust?

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ