steering rack inner ball joint

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: steering rack inner ball joint
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:02:31 -0800
Hello All,

I am putting together a correct steering rack by using the best parts off a
68 rack and a 69 rack (Both had the lil shim on the passenger side). I've
been through the archives and it seems unassembly of the inner ball joint is
quite an ordeal. I tried on one of the four ball joints I have and managed
to chew it up nicely but it still won't budge. Can I just soak them in
thinner for a bit, then in oil and see how they feel instead of inspecting
them visually?

What I am not looking for? slop? tight spots?

BTW I think I am going to try the oil route. Both racks had grease and are
in fairly good shape. Ill try oil and when it leaks I will go for the
grease.

Thanks!

Toby
69 Sprite