Re: Shrinkage...Filler that is

To: "John Mac" <nonrunningmgb@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Shrinkage...Filler that is
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:50:06 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi.

It's been my experience that the cheaper products will shrink more than a
premium product. For example in the PPG line, K36 primer is more stable
(less shrinking) than
a similar primer in the Omni line. Excessive film thickness will add to
shrinking also, as well as over reducing in an attempt to obtain good flow.
Lots of bondo or fiberglass filler under the paint will tend to shrink also.
Waiting a week or so in warm sunny weather will help, if you have the time
to spend.
Following the manufacturers recommendation on application and film thickness
is very important,
they spend lots of money developing these products to obtain oem results.
Las year I repaired  a hood  that was broken in two on a Daimler which is
fiberglass. I did it rather quickly as
it was supposed to be picked up soon. Looked smoooth until it sat outside in
the sun on a 90 degree day,
the seam line showed badly. So I waited waited a month sanded it flat again
and resprayed it, it's fine now.
Live and learn...

Hope this helps,
John