Lesson Learned

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lesson Learned
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:14:36 -0500
I learned another lesson today on SU carbs and jet centering.
Never center the jet with the choke link screwed on.
After an hour of "why does the piston work perfectly in the dash pot,
and the piston falls with a thunk in the carb body, but not when the 2
are assembled" I tried recentering the jet with everythin assembled.
No good. So when I finally undid the choke arm to the jet and recentered
the jet, all was fine.
Now if the fresh carbs work, I'll be real happy.
I am waiting for the carb heat shield paint to dry before I assemble the
carbs to the intake.
So maybe tomorrow night I'll throw the carbs on, whip up a dizzy and see
how it all works.
No wonder the engine ran like crap when I fired it up on the garage
floor with those carbs. 1 float (the plastic float) was full of gas so
it didn't float real good, one throttle was seized, and both pistons
were stuck. But hey, it still fired up and ran to some degree.
It should run much better now that the carbs are functional.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ