So I didn't drive it tonight

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: So I didn't drive it tonight
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:47:05 -0500
I did fire it up with just a tweak of the timing but had a serious miss.
No suction in the back carb.
Checked the valves, they were set fine.
Did a compression test, ZIP in #4 cylinder, like ZERO!
Ok, yank the head and I did find a perfectly good piston it was even
clean and it moved up and down.
Close examination of the intake valve revealed not a burnt valve but a
smashed valve. Smashed on the rim, almost squared off.
Lapped in a new valve, de-coked the rest of the head, put it all back
together and now I have 125 psi compression across the board and that is
with my rubber tipped, probably leaks some, comp tester.
I just didn't feel like putting the carbs back on tonight so maybe
tomorrow night is test drive night.
60 psi oil pressure.
Original fuel pump works.
No noticable leaks (yet) other than the leaky intake valve.
And no smoke from the wires OR the exhaust :)

I'm sure it will run better on all 4 and with the rear carb working.
But it was idling sort of high, could that be due to the valve leak?
Throttle plates are correct, idle and choke fast idle screws are off
contact. I guess a square intake valve would make for a large vacuum leak.
Now what did this engine swallow to give it a square valve?
No marks on the piston or head. It looks like someone filed the valve
flat on one side, and it is smashed outwards like something went in
there. Nothing in the oil pan cause I had that off.
Oh well, all fixed and it only took about 2 hours.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ