Re: strength of welded steel

To: "Bob Walker" <spriteracer98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: strength of welded steel
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:23:22 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I use a magnet as a flat backing to provide a temporary bottom to the hole
until it is filled.  I don't put it in the hole, I put it under a hole.
It then pops off easily after it has served its purpose.  I have a giant
cylindrical magnet that I've used to hold things together for welding and
more than once it has been a backstop for the liquid steel.  Still works
pretty good as a magnet. I've also placed a DRY brick against a piece of
sheet metal to keep globs from building up on the backside when I'm trying
to fill the hole.

If the welding wire is noticeably more brittle, that would be a very good
reason not to use this method in a location that needed the original
hardness to meet a purpose.  So far I've done it to fill in holes in sheet
metal.

Glen