Re: Re: Ford Fiesta alt]

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Ford Fiesta alt]
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:51:22 -0000
Just top add a spot of confusion.....

In the UK we talk about Dynamos and Alternators.  We don't do Generators on
British cars.
The Dynamo is the thing that looks a bit like a starter motor, rather than
having an alloy casing.  I guess this is what you would call a generator,
but then these are LBCs so I will continue to call it by its British name.

My '71 Sprite is fitted with a Dynamo.  I believe they only started using
Alternators on the MK1V Midgets onwards in the UK, but put them on export
models from MK III Midgets/ MK IV Sprites onwards. (GAN5/AAN5)

The Alternator is more efficient, puts out a fairly constant AC
(alternating) current and has a
built-in rectifier to convert to DC.  The Dynamo puts out DC current which
varies more with revs, so needs that voltage control regulator thingie that
is fixed to the bulkhead.  I always liked the look of the inside of those
things. The row of bright, thick  copper wire coils and adjustable contacts
just begging to be adjusted......Ahh, Bliss!!

Guy
Incidentally the UK Ford Fiesta is now in its 5th (I think) version, having
been in continuous production in its various forms since 1976. Reputation
for being small, reliable, basic agricultural engineering, not exactly
cutting edge but have always been popular. Throughout their full production
run they have almost continuously topped the monthly sales charts figures in
the UK, far more often than any other vehicle.