Re: NLBC-Willing of Sprites 2004 14:59:10 -0600

To: toyman@digitex.net (Brad Fornal)
Subject: Re: NLBC-Willing of Sprites 2004 14:59:10 -0600
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:48:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: 60bugeye@ev1.net (LDS), spritenut@exit109.com (Frank Clarici), spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad...

With respect...

Nope..you don't (fully) understand, Brad.
There is a reason why things exist the way they do and it has nothing to
do with
you or me. We came along long after the process was originated and
initiated by
others who came before.

I understand your example(s).
Yep...there's a downside to the union,
Brad. No doubt about it. Having been
brought up on the "merit system" myself
I completely understand you. I would
much rather work for a good boss than
one who needs a union to look out for
the average worker, for exactly the
reasons you give by example.

Union and worker laziness and/or
irresponsibility don't have to go hand in
hand but often they do, and so it is
within my industry as well in terms
of NON-Federal Certificated employees.

As I stated, unions are a necessary evil
when less than educated management
brings them in...which occurred in this
country long before you or I made
the scene, Brad. You (and I) came along
later. I know the history of my industry
and exactly why unions were brought
in.

I also know the history of the newspaper
industry wherein my Dad filled his rice
bowl and those of his employees
(though not to the extent I know my
own) and why unions found their way in
to his industry (though not into his company) along with the history of
how the Teamsters found their way into trucking, etc.

I also know that Air New England, the
first regional airline probably in the
country (and a fine airline it was) was
put out of business by a union run
amuck with "power". As I said, unions
are a "necessary evil" when required and
have their downside.

So I know and have experienced both
sides of the coin.

The problem is that once the union is
voted in (and it is always for just cause
initially), it takes an act of God to change
things......
..... 'cause changing the corporate
culture which originally brought the union
in takes literally, years. The old bosses
who initially "set the tone" and old union
guys have got to retire as the new men
coming in as managers are better educated in "human relations" and the
trickle down affect of management change gets across to new workers
coming in who've not been tainted by the older union workers to the
extent labor relations/negotiations become friendly rather than adverse
over time. This takes literally decades.

The reason your skies are as safe as they
are today (with the older airlines) is their
unions. In the case of Virgin, Southwest
and Jet Blue, the skies were always safe
because managers were educated enough
(FROM THE BEGINNING!!) to treat their
employees reasonably well and HELP
them do their jobs well, along with letting
their Federally Certificated employees do
their jobs in accordance with the appropriate FAR's which govern their
use of the priveleges, duties and
responsibilities that come with the use of the Federal "tickets" they
hold.

You and I are not part of the initial
situation, Brad. We just inherited the
fallout from prior poor bosses and
managers.

You may have a good boss to work for
and like me, are a responsible guy who
"earns" rather than "takes".

But all bosses may not be as fair and as
reasonable as yours, any more than all
employees are like you and I. :):)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)