Re: stories about Bugeyes i17KkX8A017412

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stories about Bugeyes i17KkX8A017412
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 12:44:10 -0800
Chuck wrote:

i have been the reason that people have remembered a "bugeye story" from
their past they have stopped to share with me.

The first time I took the Bugeye out after the restoration was completed I
drove over to a neighboring city to try to see how she would run.  While I was
driving in a residential area an older gentleman in a large Buick spotted me
and started following me around the block.  He looked all excited.  When I
stopped at a stop sign he stopped behind me. I could see in my rear view mirror
(as small as it is) that he was getting out of his car and walking towards the
Bugeye.  When he came up on the driver's side he said he just wanted to see the
car.  He owned one brand new back in 1959 and loved that car.  As he was
relating how he had so much fun in his Bugeye you could see how emotional he
was getting.  I was very moved and offered him a ride around town in it.  He
refused, but shook my hand and thanked me for giving him a little trip back to
his youth and for restoring the Bugeye.  We talked for a few more minutes and
we parted company.  He sat at the stop sign and just watched the Bugeye drive
away.  After an encounter like that, how do you sell a car like this.  The
Bugeye is more than just a car!
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2