Re: now front end wear

To: Nory <nory@buffnet.net>
Subject: Re: now front end wear
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:02:10 -0500
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Nory wrote:

> I've got new/rebuilt kingpins ready to install.  Should I replace the
> wishbones too (while I'm in there)?

Nory
Bugeyes and early Spridgets had beefier wishbones. The BL Spridgets had
thinner wishbones and they tended to wear out alot faster.
1500 Midgets with their heavier front ends and thinnest wishbones wear
out the fastest.
A visual check would be the first step. any cracks or worn thru spots
means new ones. Accident damage, bent, etc, should be replaced.
Next a fit of the new pin complete with cotter fully secured will show
if it wiggles more than it should.
It will wiggle a little, it needs the looseness for the grease to get
in/around. But it should not be sloppy. No verticle movement, just a bit
of side to side movement.
In my accumulation of used wishbones over the years, more have been good
than bad. Most have been useable, meaning not new but not bad.
If the old pins come out resonably easy, they are probably OK.
Seized pins means lack of grease over the years and may come out with a
bit of heat, if the pin fights you for 2 or more days, think about new A
arms.

But then again, if you are redoing the whole front end, what's another
$250 for rebushed A arms?

I just redid my yellow Bugeye front end, I used the old A arms since
they were well maintained over the last 15 years. New king pins in old A
arms, all is fine.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ