Re: Re:Was Oraigianl Color, now front end wear 20:39:06 -0500

To: nory@buffnet.net (Nory)
Subject: Re: Re:Was Oraigianl Color, now front end wear 20:39:06 -0500
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 03:37:12 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (spridgets)
I understand the position in which you
find yourself, Nory.

Exact same spot I found myself in when
acquiring my current BE. While there should be SOME sideways movement
of the lower assembly, how much is too
much when it comes to a State DMV
inspection when they put it on their front
end machine to check it out? Now some
states don't include this in the intitial
registration inspection, but mine does and
I needed to get the car on the road in
reasonable time.

If it wasn't for the state inspection, I would
have accepted them as they came and continued driving the car until they
became more worn over time. I mean they
just weren't that bad.

I always have a car checked out before I
buy it. With my current BE, the car was
being sold away from the area in which
my mechanic has his shop. So I had the
car checked out by the seller's shop where he lives, locally. It's a
good shop
but sometimes people tell you things to
drum up business, if you know what I
mean!!!

So I got the owner's permission to drive
the car down to my mechanic's place for
pre-buy inspection as well. My mechanic
told me the same thing. Were it not for
the DMV inspection, I could get away without resplacing them (I drive
sanely...
I'm not "abusive") for a while.

However, he was pretty packed with work
and could not get to the job immediately.

So I drove it back up to the seller's shop
and let them do the work. The seller and
I split the cost, reducing the price of the
sale, accordingly.

Frank Clarici knows these cars very well,
(a hell of a lot better than I do, for sure!)
so I would tend to take whatever advice
he can offer you on this pretty much as
gospel. He is more often right than wrong,
for sure. Good luck. :)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)