Rear axle bearings

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear axle bearings
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 06:36:38 -0800
I replaced the outer bearings, seals, o-rings and gaskets in my '73
Midget last fall. Over the holiday weekend, when I replaced the entire
rear axle, I discovered that the left bearing was loose in the hub, and
right side hub slipped off the axle by hand. Both had been a press-fit
six months earlier. I thought I was careful when I assembled it; I
tapped the bearings into the hubs with a 2x4 and a mallet (after
chilling the bearings). I used a brass drift to start the bearing on the
axle, and then used the nut to pull it down, while tapping gently on the
socket. I put a thin coat of grease on all the parts so they wouldn't
gall. I packed them with moly grease, and filled the differential with
Mobil One synthetic. I had no evidence of odd noises, but clearly,
something had caused the bearings to wear the hub/axle.  I noticed some
regularly space marks on the left side axle, but the right side (the
side the bearing slipped off of) looked fine. The loose hub (left)
looked fine.  The seals were not leaking, and the bearings were very
oily when I removed the half shaft. I got the parts from Moss.

I reassembled the axle to, there is no discernable play, but it's hard
to tell. The bearings seemed to turn OK, and I never noticed any squeal
or rumble out of the axle, but it's a noisy car.

Can anybody tell me what happened?

Thanks,

Jim Golden