Re: 948/1098

To: "Ralph Heacox" <marinaratt@hotmail.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 948/1098
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:30:34 -0800
Hi Ralph,

The engines are interchangeable in as much they each will fit in the engine
compartment the same.

The 948 has only 43 HP with dual carbs, a fairly flexible crankshaft that
doesn't care to be stressed a lot.

1098 with 1 3/4" crank (10CG) has 50-55 HP with dual carbs.  The 1098 has
the longest stroke of all the "A" series engines made.  Gives great low end
torque.

1098 with 2" crank (10CC) has about 5 HP more because of the stiffer crank.

Using the 1098 with a smooth case trans isn't the best idea.  The larger
clutch pressure plate might interfere with the bell housing, need to grind
it a bit, but the trans is a bit weak for the engine and has synchronizer
cones instead of the baulk rings of the rib case trans.  Poor syncro action
in the smooth case.

1275 (12CE or HC) made in 1967 has 65 HP.  Block is taller, head is longer
than the 1098, but fits in fine.

Hope this helps some.

Paul A