Re: Bugeye interiors..

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye interiors..
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:31:34 -0500
Lester Ewing wrote:
So how long should I expect to spend installing one of the interior
kits?  Any hints or help?  Anything or any company to avoid??
--------------------------------
Personally, I find it just as cheap to have a professional upholsterer
recover the seats. I didn't have much choice in our Pink Car and I
brought it to a trim shop in Massachusetts that had already done a dozen
or so Healeys and was familiar with the seats. What he charged me worked
out to be roughly the same as a seat kit that I would have had to
install myself.

If you're going to go that route, get extra material so you can do the
other interior parts.

But if you want to do it yourself:

Seats? An evening.

Panels? Couple of hours.

Dash? Hour or so.

Cockpit trim above the dash 15 minutes.

This assumes that related parts are all set to go. IOW, seat pans don't
need repair or painting, interior panels don't need to be replaced/cut
from stock backing material such as luan or masonite, etc, and dash
doesn't need to be repainted or repaired such as welding closed extra
holes, repairing radio cut-out and such.

I would recommend dry fitting, test fitting the seat kit as well as the
panels. Make sure you have enough material for the panels. Use 3M 08080
or 08088 Opinions will vary on that suggestion, but I just used it again
last week and it is the same fine adhesive it always has been.

It's also a good idea to buy some upholstery foam to bolster the seat
bottom foam. Roll it up and insert it into the holes in the seat
bottoms. It will keep your rump from bumping. Seriously, it will make a
big difference.

Also make sure you have enough clips to attach the material to the seat
backs and bottoms as well as the dash. You can actually cheat on the
dash and get by w/o the clips, if you so choose.

Remember, Take you time. It's not a speed contest.

--

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct