more progress on the 77

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: more progress on the 77
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 05:07:30 -0800
Auth-sender: cbking@alum.rpi.edu
While some of you were driving, I was tuning and debugging. :)

I finally got the timing set correctly, the carbs are flowing the same
amount of air, but they still seem to run lean at idle I'm about 16
flats down. I'm thinking I may need richer needles for the cam I have in
(TSI 275 cam, current needles AAT). No more popping out the exhaust,
though, and the idle is pretty smooth at about 1100 rpm.

Getting closer on the electrics too. Cleaned the connections at the
headlights, and finally found that the reason that one of the headlights
wasn't working was that I neglected to attach the plug to it. Oops! :) I
also now have hazard flashers, but still no turn signals. It may be the
switch, but I know I took that apart and cleaned it while it was out,
and checked it for continuity when I was done. Horns and headlight dip
work, though. Maybe another good contact clean...

Question, though. With the hazards on, the flasher in the console (tall
unit right above the hazard switch) is the one that clicks. There's also
a small flasher unit on the firewall on the far right near the voltage
stabilizer. What does that one do?

-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/