FW: [Fwd: Update on Dick - 03/25/04]

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [Fwd: Update on Dick - 03/25/04]
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 06:57:15 -0600
Here is the latest on Dick Buckingham.  Judy's decision to sell the
house was necessary but a real bummer.  It is a car persons delight, 3
levels on a hill side in Mercer Island, lots of garage and shop space.
No way he could get around.

Larry Dent

Dear Friends of Dick and Judy;

It's been a little while since my last update...a week ago, Dick was moved
the Mercer Island Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7445 SE 24th, Mercer Island
98040, phone 206-232-6600.

He has continued to  improve on a daily basis.  He is now able to
communicate
very well...just in a very low whisper.
Judy said that the doctor wants to send him to a ENT doctor to evaluate why
he
speaks in such a low whisper.  It may just be that he is still recovering
from
the tracheotomy...they are not sure.

He loves to have company even if the visit is very short (Our last visit was
for about 10 minutes.).  He told us that today in Physical Therapy, they had
him standing for about 45 minutes and he even took a step.  His right leg
seems more under control and he is able to grasp and lift a glass, with his
right hand, to his mouth.

As I mentioned, his communication skills seem very good and in the short
time
we were there, he was giving us directions to sit his wheelchair in a more
upright position and also how to move him from the wheelchair to the bed.
Not
much passes by his keen eye and mind!

Judy is doing okay and has been surrounded by support of both family members
(who have been flying in from the mid-West) and friends.  She has decided to
sell their home and find one that is a little easier to move around in.
This
is in anticipation of Dick, eventually, returning home.  I'm
very pleased to say, that each time I see him, this seems like a more likely
possibility!  When she told Dick of his decision, he agreed with her
decision...she asked him what area he would like to move into and he
replied,
"Somewhere near the track"!  Another friend was by to visit and Dick wanted
him to go to Wendy's and get him a cheeseburger.

He is up to 2+ hours of therapy a day, which is half-way to the goal of 4-6
hours of stamina that he will need to return to University Hospital to go
through their intensive therapy for patients with brain injury.  At the rate
he is going, he'll probably reach that goal within a month!

It is such a joy to be able to send such upbeat and hopeful emails.  If you
have the opportunity, go and visit...or, send him a note or card.  All the
positive wishes and prayers are very appreciated by both Judy and
Dick...and,
they certainly seem to be working!

Have a good weekend - Elna