Re:SPGT The Riley Sprite

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:SPGT The Riley Sprite
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:25:27 EST
In a message dated 3/30/04 1:36:35 PM, KGROWLER@aol.com writes:

> The earlier Sprite was a Riley before WW2. Somebody with more time than I
> have right now (I'm at work) can Google it and see if it was a 750.

Okay kids, I bit, as the below site will tell you, Riley made 50 Sprite sport
cars in the 1935 to 1938 time frame.   They shared chassis and running gear
with Riley TT Sprite racing car.   Other research indicates it had a 4 cyl OHV
and a 1496cc-22hp engine.   Riley was sold to Morris in 1938.   I find no
evidence of activity until the 50's when the Bugeye was introduced.   From 7
pages
of Google, I think the 750 must be a myth.   Also, these pictures don't
indicate a small car to me, although it is hard to tell except for the gate in
the
background.

http://users.pandora.be/peter.morley/cars/Sprite.htm

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"