The lean

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: The lean
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:11:02 -0500
I tried replacing the front coils. Didn`t seem to help much, except it gave me
something to do on a rainy day. I ended up putting the originals back on.
Been holding off on the rears because they`ve never been off, and I`m hesitant
to stir up something rusty or seized or otherwise nasty that I might regret.

The usual tap-in spacer on the lean side coil helped a little, but the bug
still looked tilted from the rear. The idea of altering the effective length
of the other spring sounds like it might work. I`m just not sure what sort of
spacer should be used and where to place it. . .Between the spring seat and
the control arm? I would have to use longer bolts.  It doesn`t look like a
standard washer would fit there. . . I supposed it was some kind of
performance gadget made for this purpose.

The bug has never been hit, and I`m not particularly heavy. I can`t see any
good reason for the lean other than it being a characteristic of the car.

Actually, most bugeyes I`ve seen around here tilt some. Some in magazines,
too. Those few I`ve seen here that don`t are professional restorations, and
the present owners don`t have a clue what was done to correct the problem.
Like I said, I never really pursued it. Just thought I`d ask, since it was
brought up here.

My 1098 Midget is still on the original springs. Even though it`s beginning to
sit a bit low, it`s level. Somewhere along the line, probably when I was
having it serviced at the BMC dealer, somebody put a spacer in the driver`s
side. There must have been a reason for that.

 Thanks.

Bert.