Starter Drive

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter Drive
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:05:10 -0500
I made a discovery this past week that may be of interest to some. I offer it
for what it is worth and I am not interested in arguing with anybody about it
<VBG>.

Like many other people, I have been plagued by a starter which runs strong but
sometimes does not engage on the first try or even on the 5th try when people
are watching. It always does engage eventually, but it does get annoying. This
last weekend I got very tired of it and decided to pull the thing out of there
and spray a bit of silicone lube (pretty good about not picking up dirt) to
see if that would help. As a part of the process, I was spinning the drive up
and down its threads by hand and discovered that when spun back to rest the
drive gear would tend to snag on the spring stop at the end. By holding the
drive and rotating the spring in relation to it, I was able to eliminate this
tendancy completely in less time than it takes me to type this. I put
everything back together and have not had a lick of trouble since. Doesn't
sound like a very long test period, but we are talking about 800 miles and a
couple dozen starts ;-)
YMMV, but I am quite happy about it.
David Lieb