Re: Questions about engine rebuild and machine shop work

To: w.lists@verizon.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Questions about engine rebuild and machine shop work
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:15:43 -0400 FILETIME=[F219DB20:01C42CB5]
Bill, Sounds good,
I meant to cc my first reply to you to the list. I'm going to send this one.
Maybe we could get some of the other NJ and maybe Pa listers involved. Maybe
drag it out to somewhere in NJ, or chuck's and have a few of us pull it. I
need to head out to chuck's sometime. I'm sure someone might be able to use
something off it. I have dibs on the Diff tho!!
Anybody else interested?? A head's up Friday's would be best for me, or
during the week.  Saturdays are out.

Brian S.
Bugeye under resto

On Monday 26 April 2004 07:17 pm, you wrote:
 > Hi Bill,
 >
 > I have another option for you.  I have a 75 Midget sitting in my
driveway.
 > It was the Brown thing that was at Sprite Spree last year. I took a few
 > parts off it for my Bugeye resto. I was about to just haul the rest off.
It
 > hasn't run in some time, but it apparently has been rebuilt. It has .040
 > over flat top pistons in it. Bores look good Head has some port matching
 > work done on it, nothing major. It looks clean as near as I can tell, a
 > little carbon build up on the top of the pistons, but flakes right off. I
 > don't know if the thrust washers have been pinned. I also don't know what
 > cam is in it. It had a Weber DGV on it prior to Sprite Spree, now gone.
 > :-) It's still in the car. Oil looks clean, and the anti freeze looked
 > clean when the rad was pulled out. Block probably should still be hot
 > tanked to get any rust that may be in the passages. Might be able to get
 > away with just having the machine shop clean it up, and put new bearings
in
 > it and be good to go.
 > Cost????
 > Find somebody to help me pull it...and help me find a pair of rear lower
 > spring plates. I want to pull the tube shock conversion off it, and need
 > stock ones to replace the kits.

That sounds like a good offer.  I will have to think about it.  I might put
off my engine rebuild and try your engine.  Even if I decide not to go the
route I am willing to help you take out the 1500 engine if you don't have
another use for it.  I can store it until one of the East coast 1500 guys
needs an engine.  A couple of years ago we were swapping them fast and
furious.  If I was to use that engine I would just measure the end float and
put it in the car then run a compression test.  I might try to figure out
what cam was in the engine but if it has flat top pistions it most likey has
a bit more than a stock cam.  I will see what I can find in the way of rear
lower spring plates and shock links.  I will check around and put the word
out that I am looking for a pair so I can see if they can be found at
Britfest next weekend.    Thanks and curse you for appealing to my cheaper
side!

Bill Gilroy
77 MG Midget

Test your Travel Quotient and get the chance to win your dream trip!
http://travel.msn.com