Re: Not happy with Rivergate

To: "Captain Rapture" <yup1275@earthlink.net>, "mg" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <Rivergate@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Not happy with Rivergate
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 07:23:13 +0100
Extending the pushrod does NOT itself increase the travel of the clutch
release bearing.  It has two effects
1.    It changes the "at rest" position of the piston in the slave cylinder,
moving it further forward into the bore. This can be useful if for any
reason the piston is reaching the stop circlip before the clutch has
disengaged.
2.    If the push rod is extended too much then the clutch release bearing
remains in permanant contact with the clutch, causing slipping and wear.  In
this case it is also highly likely that the clutch will "overthrow",
damaging the fingers on the clutch pressure plate so that they bend
forwards. After this the clutch will no longer disengage properly,
particularly if they bend unevenly.

Extending the pushrod may be helpful if there is a lot of wear in the rod or
pivot points, or as a temporary fix for air in the system, but you need to
be very warey of this.

Guy