vacuum advance

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: vacuum advance
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 18:38:14 EDT
I want to add one thing since vacuum advance came up.  On my 1500 when I was
changing the distributor over to a Crane system I noticed the vacuum advance
was really stiff.  It consists of a plate the timing pickup is mounted to,
which is connected to and moves independently of the stationary 'floor'.  This
is
accomplished by some type of little bearing assembly where the two come
together in the center.  Mine was so hard to move it was all I could do with my
fingers.  I took the assembly out, sprayed a little carb cleaner in the joint
and
dropped a little oil in.  Took a lot of time wiping off any excess that came
out but the effort to move the plate went to about 5% of what it had been.

Something to keep in mind if it seems like your advance isn't working
properly but the vacuum line looks good, etc.  Because it's super sticky to
change it
you might notice it at any rpm and not be able to fit it into one of the
'normal' theories.

Mark M.