Battery acid and Transmissions

To: Mike Gigante <mg@sgi.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Battery acid and Transmissions
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:46:34 -0400
Mike G, I now you can relete to this.

Last year at SS03, while Mike and Russel were out autocrossing with
PIECES, the battery slid into an interior panel screw protruding too
close to the battery. Nobody knew it til Russel's sock started to
disintigrate.
Anyway, we washed off the area and left it at that. A month or so later,
the battery would not hold a charge and I sort of forgot about the hole
in it. I installed a new battery and a year has passed.
I took the tranny apart tonight to replace the bulk rings as it was
getting a bit crunchy in all gears. But on dis-assembly I found a
partially corroded layshaft, an almost rusted out speedo drive spacer, a
very corroded rear bearing housing and some weird worm tracks on all the
shift forks. Not to mention some impossible to remove stains on the
bellhousing.
Apparently we washed the acid into the gearbox! What else would eat the
steel like that? So now I know acid and oil don't mix and there was some
thing that looked like yellow water still in the box even after the oil
was drained. Or the acid did it's damage the first day, I am not sure.

I am on a roll with trannys, I can take them apart and figure out what
was wrong with them. And I can put them back together with no parts left
over :) BUT not a one has ever worked correctly after I reassemble it.
But I'm learning.
the one I just finished and put back in PIECES works perfectly, no
jumping out of gear, no crunching going in gear, and smooth as silk, now
if only I can figure out why it sounds like a siren in 1st, 2nd, and
3rd, I'll be a pro. Oh, it sounds real cool, like a supercharger
whinning away but it gets old real quick, like after driving 2 blocks.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ