Re: Engine timing

To: BJ8Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Engine timing
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 22:05:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
BJ8Healeys wrote:

>   I'm
> wondering if the dizzy drive gear is installed correctly?  If that is the
> problem, can it be removed and re-set without disassembling the engine?

Most likely the dizzy drive is in a tooth off. It's easy to get it
wrong, I do EVERY time and I have rebuilt lots of engines.
To fix it, remove the dizzy clamp, remove the bolt on the collar under
the clamp, twist out the collar, use a long 5/16 x 24 bolt and screw it
into the drive, twist and pull at the same time and the drive will come
out. Getting it in the correct spot is tricky as it twists on it's way in.
With #1 TDC, the larger side of the drive should be uppermost with the
slots at about 2 o clock and 8 o clock. So start installing it at 3 and
9 and it should drop in at 2-8.
Now, I can never tell which end of the drive is the "larger" end, which
goes up and I usually get it in at 2-8 but 100% of the time it's 180
out. Those slots sure look the same to me.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ