Re: getting there

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: getting there
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 13:11:14 +0100
And we're there!  The damn thing actually started!  It was a combination
of a faulty Magnetronic unit, and even then, my inability to push the
rotor arm down fully (oops!).  What a feeling it is when it springs into
life!

Few more questions if I may trouble the learned ones...

1. My dizzy cap middle contact appears to be stuck in.  I expect this is
due to the rotor being too high, and attempting a start.  Can I replace
this bit or do I need a whole new cap?  Also, one of the contacts in the
cap is quite black - could this cause a misfire?  I'm starting to think
that I should just get a new cap and be done.

2. The whole dizzy appears quite "alive" when the car is on.  Is this
normal for a 1500?  If not, do I need to pull the dizzy off completely,
and what should I look for?

3. Most importantly, I took her for a test drive around the block, and
she ran ok (timing not set after the EI install).  All was ok, until a
total lack of power / accelerator response near the end of the journey.
Pretty scary, until suddenly she came back into life.  I suspect
fuelling.  What do you think of the following ideas:
o Blocked fuel filter
o Wrong type of fuel
o Carbs not set up properly

Thanks to all for your encouragement along the way.  There was a time
when I could have cried at all the bits on my garage floor and not in my
car!