i don't believe it

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: i don't believe it
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:45:54 +0100
My car is done, ready for the MOT tomorrow.  Today I finished adjusting
the carbs.  A whack on the float chamber stopped the fuel leaking out of
the overflow pipe, although I will keep an eye on this.

The horn turned out to be a bad earth _and_ a DPO's dodgy wiring behind
the horn switch (which is the indicator stalk on my 1500 btw).  I have
now rectified this, and ripped out the (non-existent) alarm and
(useless) Kenlowe wiring, to tidy up.  Also, the de-gunged brake light
switch is in and working well.

When I took it for a 15 minute test run, I was shocked to see the
temperature at or below the N the whole time!  This car has _never_ run
below the N in the short time I've owned it.  As a Jag V12 owner, I'm
highly paranoid about temperature, and it's great to see it suddenly in
the right range, with no need for me to splash out on an oil cooler.  I
assume this is down to my good work (I hope!) with the ignition timing
and carb tuning.

I got back into my driveway and the car was idling at about 600, lower
than the 700-odd I set before, but I guess it only finds it's level
after a run.  I'll sort that tomorrow.  What is nice is that it was able
to idle at 600, not dead smoothly, but it didn't die either.  It's a
world away from what it was before.

Has anyone got the rocker oil feed kit from Moss fitted?  Any good?

Anyway, thanks everyone for putting up with my questions, some of which
may have been rather annoying to the more accomplished among you.  I'm
going for an MOT tomorrow, and the only thing that could stop a pass is
emissions - I don't have a tester...  Now I've said that I bet it fails
for another reason...