'75 Midget Starter questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: '75 Midget Starter questions
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:46:29 -0400
Hi everyone,

My starter has given up and died.  Banging on it didn't seem to make any
difference either.  I checked the Spridget list archives to see what the best
place to get one might be, but couldn't find anything there.  So, even though
these questions have probably been asked many times, I need to ask them again
myself.

First, will basically any negative earth Sprite, Midget, or Spitfire starter
work with my 1500 Midget?  What about certain Sunbeam and Nash starters?  Are
they all the same?

Second, is ebay the best place to get one at an affordable price, or do you all
know of a few other good reliable sources.  I'll pay $100 if I have to, but it
might be worth getting one on ebay for $10 to see what happens (I know, I'm
being cheap).

Last, since I have 2 other dead starters in my garage, should I just try to
rebuild one of them, and if so, is a rebuild kit readily available?

I still have to fix a few things to get my car to pass inspection, but getting
it started is the first step.  the car does push-start, so the starter motor
seems to be the culprit.

Thanks very much,

John Gottstein