Re: Headrests

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headrests
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 06:02:31 +0100
They can be really tight.
As I recall the mechanism consists of a tightly coiled spring across the
stem of the headrest, deep down inside the rear squab of the seat. The
spring is designed to bind and tends to act as a ratchet at the best of
times, and rust itself solid in bad cases.
It may help to get it started by pushing it downwards, before then jerking
it upwards in snatches.
Pushing forwards on the headrest at the same time should release the spring
tension a little. Right at the end is a "blip" in the stem that catches on
the spring and makes the last bit even harder.  But by then you will have
transmuted into a green giant and will manage to just rive it off with one
hand, roaring and beating your chest.

Guy