Re: Why won't my Midget stay fixed? Clutch problems

To: John Gottstein <john@ssrimusic.com>
Subject: Re: Why won't my Midget stay fixed? Clutch problems
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:02:39 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
John (and others) -

First off, if you're having problems with a 1500 clutch not diengaging,
the forst thing to look at is the hydraulics.  If you've done the
hydraulics (rebuilt or replaced both master and slave), than there's a
good chance that you have air in the system.  The 1500 clutch hydraulics
are a total bitch to bleed.  Honestly the most successful method I have
used is the one I came up with when I lost my temper.

Fill the reservoir, open the bleed valve, get in the car and stomp the
clutch pedal furiously (hard and fast) about 8 - 10 times.  (Cussing is
optional.)  Now close the bleed nipple, get an assistant, and bleed it
normally.  The hydraulic line for the clutch in the 1500 actually loops
higher than the master cylinder, meaning that if you don't move some
serious fluid through in a hurry, the bubble(s) will just rock back and
forth at the top of the loop.

BTW: I changed over to DOT5 in the spring of 1996 during a >>complete<<
hydraulic overhaul.  Every seal and hose replaced with new, and every
metal part either replaced or carefully flushed.  8 years, no problems.
Zero, zip nada.  I firmly believe that the bad rap DOT5 has gotten is a
result of the fact that when they say it "isn't compatible with
mineral-oil based fluids", they mean it.  Not only is it not compatible
with DOT 4 or 3, it isn't even compatible with seals that have been
exposed to DOT 4 or 3.

My experience, my $0.02.

Chris K.