Re: e-bay bust

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: e-bay bust
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:19:26 -0700 (PDT)
simple fix:  dont sell vehicles on ebay.  I never see a vehicle going
for on ebay anywhere near what it goes for in hobbyist circles or even
through local sales.  put it on auto trader, people go to ebay looking
for a steal, and theyre reluctant to put a lot of money towards a CAR
that needs SHIPPING and is proly no where near as good as the owner
thinks it is.

--- SDOliner@aol.com wrote:
> Go figure, I see Judson Vacuum gauges going for 500 plus on ebay, but
> couldn't get the reserves for either the Bugeye or Midget.
> The reserve on the bugeye was 8,000 and all it yielded at auction was
> 6,000.
> This car is in very good "driver"  condition, 1275, 5 speed, front
> discs, new
> shocks, exhaust header, new top, decent (but not great) interior and
> paint.
> Basically buy it, and drive it home deal. Get annal complusive with
> it over the
> winter.
>
> The midget was even more surprising to me. 1275, 276 cam, dual point
> dizzy,
> header, glass pack, wire wheels, orginal tranny, decent paint, very
> clean
> interior. All I could get was $3,500? I was going to let someone
> steal it for
> 4,000. Wishful thinking on my part.
>
> I have to say I got some just stupid questions to e-bay member. I was
> trying
> to honest about the condition of the cars and inject a sense of
> humor. I
> described one car as looking good at 10 feet and 10 mph. I get this
> guy ask if the
> car goes more than 10 imiles and hour. And he was serious.
>
> The ebay vultures are now circling. Guess I have to rethink this
> thing. I
> must have an inflated view of value of these cars. But with four LBCs
> in the
> garage, that is just too many to enjoy.
>
> David Oliner

=====